Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dilemma ridden

A common Gailism, generally expressed (whined?) to my mother, my best friend, or anyone who knows me well enough to humor me and pretend to listen, is the statement "here's my dilemma." What follows is a rambling of unmatched proportions, where I outline the issue at hand, and all the possible choices I have and the pros and cons of each. The unwitting recipient of this earful literally does not have to say anything. The HMD rant is ultimately a way for me to talk out silly issues that only I would see as significant dilemmas and come to a conclusion on my own, but in a fashion that pretends to be a dialogue.

Why this helps me? Unclear.
But it occurs a lot.

So after reading an article in the NY Times about female bloggers my mom suggested that I turn my ramblings into a blog. Mostly I think she wants me to hit the blog jackpot and get sponsored by J.C. Penney and Crate & Barrel like Heather Armstrong's dooce.com [dilemma: include the link and send my nonexistent readers to a more developed site or leave it out and lack a source?], but I think she also wants me to grow up and learn to solve my own dilemmas without talking her ear off. Mom: "Instead of calling me, why don't you try writing a blog post every time you have a dilemma?" Such gentle code for: I have things to do in life, and you're 22 damnit, plus your dilemmas are ridiculous.

And that is how we've arrived here...

No comments: