Sunday, September 21, 2008

My car is senile

My beloved '95 Acura, inherited from my father and originally bought used, is on the fritz. The bottom is rotting. The hand brake somehow interferes with the brake pedal (don't ask me how). I have to park in gear and not use the hand brake. Other things are wrong, but when the mechanic told me it all went over my head. The only thing I know for sure is that I will need a new car in the near future. But of course, the solution is never as simple as going and buying a car.

So here's my dilemma:
  • My job is still at the moment temporary. As much as I want to stay and they want me to stay, the logistics still haven't been worked out, and I won't have a definite answer for an indefinite period. If I don't stay with this job, my future is up in the air. I could get a job where public transportation is an option or move to a city where cars are unnecessary (NYC!). I will kick myself if I put the time/money/effort into buying a car only to end up in a situation where I don't even need a car.
  • Money. Money. Money. Having an official permanent job where I have a salary will make me soooooo much more comfortable making such a large purchase and dipping into my savings.
However, the longer I wait till I know whether my job will last, meaning I have a definitive need for a car and the future money to revive my savings, the higher the chance of my car splitting in two on the Pike during my daily commute...

Other factors to consider:
  • My parents each have a car. If my car does die on me (knock on wood), I will be able to make arrangements to get to work. I also have my trusty awkward carpool buddy.... 60-year-old Howie. I would like to avoid relying on him for rides since I would also greatly like to avoid our non-conversant 30 minute car rides.
  • The ever wonderful Talya has tentatively offered me use of her car while she spends a year in India. However her plans are not definitive, so as much as I would love to rely on this option it is not set in stone. [Note: I am deviously hoping that having this in writing here will somehow solidify this arrangement!]
I'll end with some closing thoughts from Nate:
Here are your options as I see them:
  1. Get a new used car today, spend a bunch of money.
    You are guaranteed to have a car that you may not need.
  2. Drive your current car until it dies. That could be a week or a year.
    Get a new used car.
    You are not guaranteed to have a car that you may not need.
I would take option 2, but I am risk loving.
And I am not. Still have a dilemma...

No comments: