Sunday, September 21, 2008

Spreading the dilemma solving to others

After thoughtfully pointing me to a toothpaste-dispensing toothbrush to solve my last dilemma (see right), Adam came to me with his own work/food dilemma. Here's what he wrote:
"Last Wednesday, I brought my lunch to work as usual and left it in the shared refrigerator in the office kitchen. Strangely, I wasn't hungry enough to finish my yogurt that day, so I left in the fridge for later. I returned to work on Thursday and went about my job as usual. After a few hours, I decided that I wanted some yogurt, so opened up the fridge to reclaim my fruity bounty. That's when I realized that there were five different cups of yogurt inside, but I couldn't remember which was mine! All I know is that my brand was Yoplait (there are three of those), and that typically my favorite flavor is peach. There was a peach in the fridge, but there was also a strawberry kiwi and blueberry, which I also enjoy. I don't want to ruin someone else's day and take his/her yogurt, but I still want mine back.

So here's my dilemma: how do I reclaim my own yogurt without knowing what type I originally brought in? I thought about leaving Post-it notes on each container, asking the owner to leave a message if the yogurt in question wasn't mine. Please let me know if you have a better solution."
Well Adam, here are my expert dilemma-solving thoughts on your options (though I don't know what the status of your yogurt will be come Monday morning). I think leaving a note might overcomplicate things.* And since your actions will in no way result in a coworker having NO yogurt, I personally think you should do one of the following:
  1. Wait till the other 2 Yoplaits are gone. Then the remaining one is yours to claim.
  2. Eat the peach one. Maybe the other yogurt owners will, like you, also have forgotten what flavor they brought in.
In the future, might I recommend the following:
  1. Channel the mother of a 7-year old and write your name on your yogurt. Or draw a smiley face on it so you know which is yours. (If it's any comfort, this is totally something I would do.)
  2. Perhaps you could keep your food in a lunchbox or a plastic bag?
  3. I always like to put my food in a specific place in the fridge so I always have a go-to location.
All right, I hope that helped in its own random weird way. :)

*though I could see the note-leaving option as a fun way to bring some playful mystery solving to the office

No comments: